Recipe by: Sahin Erdal
5 people (2 dolmas/each)
- 10 dried pitted aubergines (bought pre-dried)
- 5 dl yoghurt
- Pul biber
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 0,5 finely chopped garlic
- 0.25 dl tomato puré
- 0,5 dl water
- 2 dl washed rice
- 1 st shallot, finely chopped
- 1 dl chopped and grilled pine nuts (save some for topping)
- 1 dl chopped sultan raisins
- 1,5 tbsp pul biber, sweet (Turkish chili)
- 0,5 dl olive oil
- 0,5 msk coriander seeds (mixed)
- Pul biber
- Swell up the dried pitted aubergines in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Mix together ingredients for the paste. Stir around properly.
- Mix rice, paste, nuts, raisin and shallots. Smaka upp with pul biber and salt.
- Work in all the ingredients with the rice and mix a few minutes, then go in with olive oil and keep mixing.
- Taste with more spices and garlic if needed. It should be a good punch in the flavours, taste continuously! The consistency of the rice should be a tad compact and shapeable in the hand, almost creamy. If rice feels dry – work in some water alternatively olive oil.
- Let the rice rest for 5-10 min.
- Taste and add some more of the ingredients if anything is missing, should be a fine balance between pul biber, spice, raisin and nuts. Sometimes a bit more garlic can be needed.
- Light a grill with firewood (preferably oakwood).
- Pour over the yoghurt in a metal bowl.
- When the grill is smoking – place the bowl on the grill and close the lid.
- Let the smoke penetrate into the yoghurt for a while.
Browned butter with pul biber:
- Brown the butter in a pan.
- Spice up with pul biber to desired amount.
- Put a dollop of smoked cream in the center of the plate.
- Place aubergines with filling on top.
- Pour over the browned butter and top with some of the grilled pine nuts.